RBKweb
 OM RBKweb
 ANNONSEINFORMASJON
 RSS-KANAL
 ARKIV
 TA KONTAKT
SØK I ARTIKLER
Debattforum

Alle kan lese innleggene, men man må registrere seg for å delta aktivt i diskusjonene.
Everyone can read the posts, but you have to register before writing your own posts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatistikkStatistikk   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Jayden Nelson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
juneof86
Junior

PostPosted: 08.02.2023 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, apologies for writing in English. I am a Canadian supporter who is very excited to see what Jayden Nelson can do at a good club like Rosenborg.

A little about the player – Nelson was regarded as Canada’s most promising prospect when he was 16 and led Canada to the Under-17 World Cup (a rare occurrence). Since then he has struggled to live up to his promise. Canada has had a number of small, very technically skilled players who failed to make their mark as professionals.

Toronto FC is a difficult place for a young player looking to play a creative role. They signed Alejandro Pozuelo (€9M) in 2018 and left winger Yefferson Soteldo (€5.9M) in 2020 and followed that by signing Insigne and Bernardeschi from Italy. Nelson is more of a No. 10, but he also likes to play on the left. I don’t think of him really as a winger, he operates more in “the channel” and in the “half-spaces” between the fullback and the central defender. He is much more of a creator than a goal-scorer. I also think of his as being quick more than fast. His first few steps allow him to get some space, but he isn’t going to run away from people over 25 or 30 metres like an Alphonso Davies (though I think Mbappé is the only other player who can run like Davies).

In 2021 Toronto was very poor, but the caretaker manager was trying to prove he deserved the job, so he continued to play older players to try to win matches in a lost season instead of allowing the academy players to develop which would have benefitted the club long term. Many of those older players were released and the academy players like Nelson didn’t gain any experience. Last season under Bob Bradley, Toronto finally played their younger players and Nelson progressed well. He played on the left in a 4-3-3, but the problem was that Insigne was coming in the summer transfer window, so that role was temporary for Nelson since it was obvious that’s where Insigne would play. That also speaks to why he played so much last year. Bradley wanted to give a chance to the young players, knowing they had some significant signings coming in mid-season and it was a good time to see if some young players could be converted to fullback and what a player like Nelson could do if given a chance in an attacking role. When Insigne arrived, both of Toronto’s No. 8s were injured, so Nelson played a more central role in a 4-3-3. I thought he did decently, though he has to learn about being more defensively responsible in that kind of position. He didn’t always make the pass that Insigne was hoping for, but I think playing next to a player of such a high quality suited Nelson. It spoke well to how he had progressed and what Bradley thought of him that he let him play deeper and keep him on the pitch, rather than play a more natural replacement.

He is far from the finished product, but has good technical skill and great quickness. He has been passed by players younger than him in the national team, but we are still hoping he has a big future. I am hoping that leaving Toronto (and not being stuck behind Insigne) will help him continue to progress. Playing in Norway did great things for Sam Adekugbe and I am looking forward to watching Rosenborg this season.
Fosningen
Rutinert

PostPosted: 08.02.2023 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

@juneof86: Thank you for excellent information. We really appreciate it. We are excited to see how Nelson will perform and develop here.
Torbjørn
Veteran

PostPosted: 08.02.2023 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great overview and summary. All of that seems to correspond well to the superficial impression given by the 7-min YouTube video. Hope he can grow into a proper, robust player here.
v_olden
Veteran

PostPosted: 08.02.2023 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

juneof86 wrote:
Hello, apologies for writing in English. I am a Canadian supporter who is very excited to see what Jayden Nelson can do at a good club like Rosenborg.

Hi!

We have had good experiences with canadian strikers in Norwegian top tier before with Olivier Occean so we know excactly what we're getting Very Happy

Cheers!

Vinner av preseasonresultattipsekonkurransen 2014
2mas
Sjef

PostPosted: 08.02.2023 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, juneof86!

I moved your excellent post and some more to this new thread.
juneof86
Junior

PostPosted: 09.02.2023 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize there was an English forum. Rookie mistake.

Thanks for moving this 2mas and thanks for the warm welcome.

On the main Nelson thread you were asking about the Canada World Cup squad... I would say Nelson was never in serious consideration, but he and a couple of other young Canadian-based players did train with the national team more than other similar players out of convenience.

Even with 26-man squads it was unlikely that Nelson had any realistic chance of making the squad. With central defenders being injured before the tournament that changed the squad a little. Theo Corbeanu (with Wolves in England, but on loan with Arminia Bielefeld) and 18-year-old Luca Koleosho (RCD Espanyol, though he rarely plays in La Liga yet) play a similar role and were probably closer to being selected than Nelson, though neither made the side.

Canada has Nations League in March (and hopefully the semifinals/final in June) and then the Gold Cup in July. Given the kind of year it has been I think we may use our best squad for Nations League and then give many of the top players a break. Normally I would say Nelson would be part of that Gold Cup squad, but given he is in the middle of the season, perhaps not.

Canada typically has a camp in January for the players on winter break to look at younger players or players who are in North America (this is where Nelson earned his senior caps), so that may be his next involvement, but I am only speculating. Our manager likes to play his strongest team, but it has been a long year and I think David and Buchanan are likely to be transferring this summer. They could use some time away from international football.
2mas
Sjef

PostPosted: 21.04.2023 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

“In terms of football, it has been different; the style of play has been very, very different right out of the gate,” Nelson said.

“It is different from MLS; it is grittier and more tactical. It is very unpredictable. You can be 2-0 up, and then it can turn quickly. It is very back and forth. That suits me well because it creates opportunities.”

Nelson, however, feels that that sort of unpredictability will suit his development.

“I would say my style of play will help,” Nelson said. “Because there aren’t many players like me here. There are many similar styles of players, and I stand out a bit because I like to be creative. I like to play forward passes; I like to combine and get engaged in one-v-ones. And there aren’t many players like that in the league. So that’s how I will fit; I bring my qualities.”

Read more: Jayden Nelson: Rosenborg "have a plan" to make the winger into a top 5 league player
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> English forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Utviklet av phpBB. Tilrettelagt for RBKweb.

ANNONSE
SITATET
© 1999-2024 RBKweb